Jan

New Year’s resolutions — and you

While I was at the gym this morning, I was struck by the crowd that had seemingly materialized out of nowhere. (Of course, anything more than five people qualifies as a crowd at Snap Fitness.) I also noticed how the fella on the treadmill next to me was joining the gym — in that he was signing paperwork and was wearing his new door pass around his neck.

If I didn’t have a calendar, it would be a real headscratcher. But since I have like 10 of them (and I know it’s Jan. 2), the crowded gym makes sense. People are using the New Year to make a new start with their lives — good for them. I hope they can keep it up. (This also brings to mind what the fellas at World Gym use to say: the place was always busiest in January and right before spring break.)

This also brings up the topic of New Year’s resolutions. I’ve never been big on them, and historically, they’ve always been more of a joke than anything else in my family. (Dad’s go-to resolution was to not bungee jump and/or skydive in the coming year.) But I understand how they can be motivators for people.

In talking with Stephen yesterday during an 8-mile training run*, we pretty much agreed that if you’re going to make a resolution, set one that’s doable. Don’t tell yourself that you’re going to lose a ridiculous amount of weight because if you lose less than that, you’re only going to be depressed and/or give up. To put it a shorter and less specific way, don’t set yourself up to fail.

My resolution is a simple one. I want to talk on the phone less in 2012. It’s not like I have a problem talking on the phone or I do it too much — rather I want to pretty much stop doing it entirely. I don’t like it. Seriously. I think it’s my aversion to verbal communication in general, but I just don’t see a need for it in the age of text messaging and emails. So if you want to get in touch with me in 2012, I’d much rather you text and/or email.

See, that ain’t a hard New Year’s resolution. If you’re looking for one in the health/fitness department, think about going to the gym a little more or eating a little better. (I’d probably avoid the “losing-x-number-of-pounds” resolutions because there are just so many variables that go into weight loss.)

Any of the Constant Readers out there got resolutions they want to share?

*(Fun story. New Year’s Day started for me at a nightclub, continued on to a strip club and paused for a few hours of sleep before running eight miles. After that, it was ten hours of sleeping on the couch. Good times.)

About these ads

9 Responses to “New Year’s resolutions — and you”

1. January 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I’ve decided this year to work on monthly goals, rather than a New Years Resolution. But my goals for this month both focus on finally losing weight and getting heathy– drinking 64oz of water every day and going to the gym 4 times a week.

2. 3 Tonya
    January 2, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Resolutions:

– Complete a round of P90X
    – Complete a round of Insanity
    – Less/No sodas of any kind
    – Make a concerted effort to eat more whole/clean foods and less processed foods
    – Get the hell out of debt!
    – Talk to my parents more often
    – Start reading for pleasure again
    – Therapy, finally

It was hard not to say “Lose that 75 pounds!” but you’re right about the benefits of being vague.

3. 5 Val
    January 3, 2012 at 8:45 am

Last year I made a resolution to try a new food or recipe each week. As a result I ate and enjoyed so many new veggies and fruits that I never would have purchased. Of course healthy eating resulted without a specific goal to lose weight. One of the best and easiest to follow resolutions I have every made!

4. January 3, 2012 at 8:52 am

Your post mirrors my thoughts on resolutions. I spent the greater part of my childhood and young adulthood breaking my own heart with a string of failures. So, before reading your blog, I went on to Facebook today and announced that I would not have a resolution, only a goal to try my hardest to get into the gym every work day. here’s to goals!

5. January 3, 2012 at 4:57 pm

My thoughts are that anything worth starting on January 1 is worth starting on whatever other day of the year you realize a change needs to be made. I think that most people probably use resolutions as an excuse to do what they know is bad for a certain period of time before January 1. Same thing for starting “tomorrow” or “next Monday”.

Eh, or maybe this is just the excuse I use because I’m too lazy to make resolutions.

JC

6. January 6, 2012 at 12:54 pm

1) Lose 61.2 pounds. (the countdown here actually starts from 12/29/2011, after I got back from Texas, where much barbeque was had). The semester was crappy from the start and I kept giving up and giving in because I was miserable for almost the entirety of the year after my birthday, and on the rare occurrence that I’d get my groove back and be bold, it blew up in my face. Bad year. The odd number is to get from 301.2 to 240. I stuck to my diet at the end of undergrad because of the prospect of Alabama girls (lost 30-40 pounds there), and I’ll stick to this one at the prospect of, well, it’s a secret where I’m going (seriously, won’t tell a soul until I go, and when I do go only my folks will know where), but the prospect of the girls there.
    2) Have alcohol every single day of the year (exception will be made for the last few days of december if the world ends and I’m killed, but if civilization comes to an end and I survive, then the resolution still stands)
    3) Do not kill anybody (who doesn’t deserve it).
    4) Get out of credit card debt.
    5) Be able to leg press over 1000lbs again (don’t need to get as high as I could in high school, but I’d like at least 1000).

I’m more than five pounds down already. I haven’t hit the workouts hard, light weights with dumbells, walking a few miles every day, will start into the real exercise in a week and a half (I’ll talk more about that in the last paragraph). Diet is in full swing though (and it’s an easy diet, no formal calorie counting though I do take mental notes, just eating pre-measured meals I make in advance that have reasonable caloric levels)

Good so far on the drinks. Small ones. Every day. I don’t waste calories by having several beverages at once if I’m not going to go balls to the wall (and I must, on occasion, do that).

Haven’t killed anybody yet.

Set up my budget. Aims to have $1900 surplus on this semester. I’m happy with a $1000 surplus. Debt is $6500. Even the $1000 surplus would put me at $5500. Summer will bring in enough to pay that off, plus put some money into my house. Should come out of summer with the loans paid off and like $5000 in the bank. Then I need to get through the victory lap without going insane and taking first class trips to our away games (I think I can handle that).

We’ll see where I stand on the leg presses when my schedule settles and I start hitting the gym. I have an amazing schedule for the semester, but the national championship has made that week insane. Out of town until wednesday, then covering shifts for people on thursday and friday (one that I traded so somebody would cover my tuesday shift, one that I just picked up for money). Come the following Monday (16th) though, my schedule will be gorgeous. Work and school included: Monday 10:45a-11p. Tuesday Noon-6p. Wednesday 1p-7:20p (and there are a couple hours of breaks in Monday and Wednesday). This also gives a couple weeks for the mobs to quit going to the gym and resign themselves to their fate (though the mobs will be lessened anyway since I go wicked early in the morning). I’m getting more excited about the year every day (mostly because all of these things are a buildup to me getting the hell out of dodge)